If you’ve been interested in jumping aboard the vinyl bandwagon, but have yet to get yourself a turntable, look no further…. S&I take a look at 2 of our favourite turntables….
Pro-Ject 2Xperience Acryl
2Xperience was developed from the now legendary Pro-Ject 2. This balanced and low-resonance design is a perfect combination of sandwich construction, acrylic chassis, MDF platter with vinyl mat and the Pro-Ject 9cc top class tone-arm made from carbon fibre. Decoupled motor and conical feet with Sorbothane® inlay are approved Pro-Ject features to eliminate unwanted vibrations.
• A quiet running AC motor with a two-step pulley drives the platter’s outside edge via a belt.
• The transparent acrylic plinth stands on three height-adjustable Sorbothane®-damped aluminium cones.
• The motor is decoupled from the plinth to reduce vibration transmission.
• The resonance-optimised platter is a sandwich construction utilising the hub, a fine-balanced medium density fibre platter weighing 2Kg, a 4mm thick flat-ground layer of vinyl and a screw-down metal record clamp.
• The platter’s low-tolerance chrome-plated stainless-steel axle runs on a Teflon bearing plate in a sintered bronze bearing housing.
• Connection to the phono input of the amplifier can be made with connecting cables of your taste through the gold plated phono sockets and earth screw. A standard cable is provided.
• External power supply avoids potential electro-mechanical interference.
HiFi World review says –
Frankly, I don`t know how Pro-Ject does it, but the amount of perfomance
and sheer value for money that this turnable offers is astounding.
On its own, the turnable and arm are a very fine combination but when one considers that a good quality MC cartridge is also thrown in, the deal is almost done then and there! In performance terms I find that you always know what a Pro-Ject will deliver and I mean this in the best possible way. The 2 Xperience V-Pack continues the company‘s traditions of offering a well balanced and musical performance that anyone can enjoy. Ist minor sins are far from obvious and never detract from the fine performance of a very capable.
The first Debut turntable, introduced in the late 1990s, was a revolution for the hi-fi industry. For the first time after the arrival of Compact Disc and the assumed demise of vinyl records, an analogue product re-emerged in the “mass market” – something all music lovers could afford.
The new DEBUT CARBON DC ESPRIT was designed to set new standards in this category for the coming decade – perfectly timed as analogue today is again a respected source, while the demand for good turntables with all speeds is growing fast!
The CARBON TUBE for the tonearm increases stiffness and decreases unwanted resonance. This material normally is extensively used in highend tonearms, but – because of cost reasons – was never used in products at lower price levels.
Together with other improvements like an increase in platter size and weight to realize even smoother rotation, the overall sound quality is greatly improved. The approved belt drive design offers low noise AC motor with effective motor decoupling (utilising TPE), ultra precision frequency DC-driven AC generator for ultimate speed stability. Ultimate convenience is achieved, because of electronic speed change („Speed Box“) and the possibility of playing 78rpm.
• 33/45 & 78rpm out of the box
• Built-in precision Speed Box with switch on upper side
• 8,6” carbon tonearm
• Heavy non resonant acrylic platter
• New DC power supply with synchronous AC motor
• New TPE motor suspension
• Magnetic cartridge 2M red from Ortofon
• The Debut Carbon Esprit will be offered in high-gloss black or shiny red , green, blue, yellow, light grey or white at no added cost.
The Vinyl Factory review says –
In the system the Debut Carbon Esprit has a tremendous sense of musical flow, the music just oozes out of the speakers with an ease that makes you want to kick back and forget your woes.
The Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit is a turntable that many will find extremely engaging and enjoyable, add to this the fabulous finish of the plinth, good quality cartridge and electronic speed switching and you have a turntable that is tricky to beat.
If it’s musical fluency and ease of speed change you are after this Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit will have a lot of appeal, especially considering the range of finishes and ease of cable upgrade.